To provide affordable housing solutions for the urban poor, the Indian government launched the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) on 1st June 2015. This scheme aims to tackle rising land and property prices in India and provide “Housing for all” by 2022, marking 75 years of independence. Under this scheme, beneficiaries are eligible for interest subsidy under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) on their housing loans.
The PMAY eligibility is based on targeted income groups, and those who are eligible can apply for this scheme. If you have already applied and want to track your application status, here’s a quick guide on how to do it.
Steps to track PMAY application status
- Visit the official website
- Go to the “Citizen Assessment” taskbar
- Click on the Track your Assessment status from the dropdown menu under the Citizen Assessment bar
- A window will open with the name “Track your application status.”
Now, there are two options:
Option 1- By name, father’s name, and mobile number
Option 2- By Assessment ID
Who are the beneficiaries of this PMAY scheme?
This scheme is divided into PMAY-Urban and PMAY-Gramin. If an individual has not applied for this scheme but is willing to, he/she can take a look at the following list to know whether they are an eligible beneficiary for the PMAY:
- Beneficiaries under (PMAY -U) – Economically Weaker Section (EWS), Lower Income Group (LIG), and Middle Income Group.
- CLSS (PMAY-U) – Lower Income Groups and Middle Income Groups
- PMAY-G – EWS and LIG and individuals under Below Poverty Line
Beneficiaries also need to meet other PMAY eligibility criteria based on income to purchase, construct, or renovate their houses:
- MIG 1 – From Rs.6 lakh to 12 lakh
- MIG2 – Varies between Rs.12 lakh and 18 lakh
- LIG – Ranging from Rs.3 lakh to 6 lakh
- EWS – Up to Rs.3 lakh
An individual can see whether he/she is an eligible beneficiary of the PMAY scheme by visiting the official website of PMAY. After entering the query, one can scan the result to know whether they fall on the PMAY list.
Other eligibility parameters to consider in this regard are:
- Beneficiary and his family must not possess a pucca house either in their name or on behalf of another family member anywhere in India.
- In the case of joint ownership, either of the applicants can avail of a single subsidy. A female co-owner is mandatory.
- The beneficiary must not receive central assistance extended under any particular housing scheme.
If individuals find it difficult to meet the eligibility parameters mentioned above, they can opt for a home loan from leading financial institutions by meeting simple eligibility parameters and minimal documentation.
To make this process more accessible, these institutions also offer pre-approved offers to their existing customers. If you are looking forward to availing of a home loan, you can check your pre-approved offer by providing your name and contact details.
Nevertheless, if an individual does meet the aforesaid criteria, they can check the steps to apply in the ensuing section.
How to apply for PMAY?
- Log on to the official website
- Select “Benefits under 3 Components” by clicking the Citizen Assessment dropdown menu
- Enter Aadhaar card details
- The page redirects to another window that requires personal details, income, residential address, etc.
- You need to provide the captcha code and submit the form online.
Subsequently, take a printout of the application form and submit it to the nearest Common Service Centre or empanelled financial institutions along with the required documents.
One can apply for PMAY offline by filling up a form in the Common Service Centre against a nominal charge. He can also visit his preferred financial institution eligible to offer the PMAY scheme.
According to the recent data, the government has approved 1.68 lakh houses under PMAY -U. This calls for an opportunity for home aspirants to avail these key benefits of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is trying to create an opportunity for aspiring homeowners to avail basic housing necessities, irrespective of their financial state. At the same time, its generating massive job opportunities in the real estate sector.